What are its benefits?
Pea protein isolate provides high-quality protein and is one of the more easily digested plant-sourced proteins. It is also a great source of iron and provides some calcium and potassium as well.
Pea protein isolate is the result of processing yellow peas to extract their protein, leaving their fiber and carbohydrates aside. Pea protein isolate contains all nine essential amino acids (though it is relatively low in L-Methionine), which are those which cannot be made by your body and must be obtained through your diet.
Essential amino acids are crucial for a number of important processes throughout the body, such as neurotransmitter support, muscle growth and repair, energy production and blood sugar level maintenance, immune support, mood regulation, mineral absorption, digestion, hormone regulation, sexual and sleep health, mood regulation, and support of tissue structures such as collagen, elastin, and nerve cells.
- There are nine essential amino acids, all of which are available from pea protein isolate: L-Histidine, L-Isoleucine, L-Leucine, L-Lysine, L-Methionine, L-Phenylalanine, L-Threonine, L-Tryptophan, and L-Valine.
- Pea protein also provides nine non-essential amino acids: L-Alanine, L-Arginine, L-Aspartic Acid, L-Cysteine, L-Glutamic Acid, Glycine, L-Proline, L-Serine, L-Tyrosine.
In addition to providing nutrition, protein contributes to a feeling of fullness. So a morning shake with pea protein makes a great meal replacement, easily taking you through to your next meal.
What is it?
Pea protein isolate is a supplement made by extracting protein from yellow peas. In addition to providing protein, it is a great source of iron.
- While plant-sourced iron tends to be less absorbable than iron from animal sources, it becomes much more absorbable when eaten with vitamin-C-rich foods – which are plentiful in all of Microbiotic Kitchen’s shake bases.
Pea protein isolate also provides a small percentage of the daily value of calcium and potassium based on general nutrition advice.
- Pea Protein Powder: Nutrition, Benefits and Side Effects
- Essential Amino Acids: Definition, Benefits and Food Sources
- Pea Protein
- Health benefits, functional properties, modifications, and applications of pea (Pisum sativum L.) protein: Current status, challenges, and perspectives